FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

New Post   Reply verbal kung-fu <- there is no spoon Forum Index
Soulless
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

:twisted: What makes us a human... Humans are animals but society does not want to say we are. The rules that are made are ridiculous. We are animal so for that that reason we can not control nature. What do you all think...? :o :lol: :lol:
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

well, what i think makes us human are our choices and decisions. some make choices that are incorrect and seem bad because they hurt others, and they can/are usually called inhuman. Those who make good choices and help humanity are seen as humane and part of a greater society. while this does create the problem of everyone trying to conform, it also creates a greater will for those to become unlike the conformed society, creating great unrest. In short, humanity is both good and evil, based on the person themselves.
sporaxis
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a rabbit. I've chosen to live in this hole over here as opposed that hole over there, because this one is padded with pine needles and feels better to me. Am I a human now? No, because I don't have cable.

I'm a human. I've chosen to live in this house over here as opposed that house over there, because this one is cable-ready in every room. Am I a rabbit now? No, because I don't lay chocolate eggs.

It would seem to me that evolution (for all species, not just humans) would involve a choice or a decision at some point about what works or doesn't work for continued survival. So choice is not special to our particular species.

I would also argue that being able to classify or recognize our choices as "good" or "bad" is not special either. When I was a rabbit, I easily saw that choosing the hole under the dog house was a "bad" idea. So I didn't.

I saw a home video once of a raven that had bonded with a stray kitten, and so fed the kitten, raised it, and continued to play with the kitten everyday. I think that was very humane of the raven to choose to do that, but I'm not quite convinced it was a human raven.

Perhaps there is nothing that sets us apart from the animals other than our desire to set ourselves apart from the animals, which I find strange, because I've known some really great animals in my day.
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:53 am  Reply with quote

as have i.

it is strange, that of all of the creatures on earth and (supposedly) being the most intelegent of the lot, we are the only creatures that care how much gravitational force that the earth exerts on us.

shoulden't we know better?

Yes, but we want to be different, special, unique.

we arent.
sporaxis
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I agree. In spite of our wild and creative attempts to be "unique" creatures, we just aren't.

Then again, if you take the path that all creatures and all species are innately unique and special, then perhaps we are really different in that we feel compelled to be redundant and reaffirm our differences. Sounds like an inferiority complex almost. But even that isn't unique in the animal world, as I've known many cats who "had issues." Granted, they never blogged about them...
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

in effect, its all in opinion. i personally dont believe that we're so much more than animals. our only difference is that we alter habitats to suit ourselves, but then again, so do beavers (maybe THATS the missing link!!!) but seriously, we need the same things to survive that they do, but our minds that are more complex require more entertainment throughout the day.

This free time a need to do something is what truly separates us from animals. its not a positive thing, because while animals can sit around and enjoy the sun, humans have to destroy the fields that they coud lie in and erect skyscrapers that block that same sun.

Yes, we are a bit different, but not in the good sense. we are so much more destructive than any other creature on the planet, and maybe thats why none of them choose to come anywhere near "civilized" areas.

and when you think about it, isnt the term "civilized" contradictory in regards to our actions?
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

pfft! civilization is just a facade, an insubstantial ideal put before us by the media and other controling sources to keep us under their collective thumb.

i am also reminded of an episode of 'the twilight zone' in which the threat of a nuke hitting is at hand, and only one family on a street decided to make a shelter. at the time of impact, every other family comes calling, and actually break the shelter's door down as they all revert to their most base instincts, to survive.

well, in the end the bomb dosn't drop, it is actually an unidentified satilite causing the comotion. but the man who built the shelter brings up the same point. and good ol' Rod Serling ends it on this one last note:

"in order for civilization to survive, we must stay civil."

which is where i'm going to end it.

damn! screwed that up.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:09 pm  Reply with quote

another thing thats interesting is the fact that machines never learned about that factor in the matrix movies. humans have one factor that makes them almost unbeatable in any situation. the will to survive. it, like emotion, can quadruple one's strength and make one stronger than anything around him. because humans dont like to die, and they'll do any and every thing necessary to avoid it.
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

human indominability. gotta love it. another great thing about the majority of the race, is that we are too thickheaded (or open-minded) to give up.

"it's impossible" my friend says
"nothing's impossible" i say simply

then i kick his ass, for saying that i couldent.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

amen! thats the way the cookie crumbles! (name the movie if you can). and that is, seemingly, humanity's strength. because we are too thick headed to give up, we keep on fighting. even if we get sent to the depths of hell and get swarmed by the strongest demons in existance, name one person who wont think: "im takin those fuckers down with me" and charge forward screaming. we wont even feel the pain in those situations, because when the odds are against you, your adrenaline kicks in and your brain shuts down. its like scitzophrinea (sp) in a way, because you just watch as your body opens up a can. (i know this cause its happened to me once). and its also the scariest thing that ive ever had happen to me too, because when i was doing it, i couldnt control myself and i was afraid that id hurt someone worse that i ever normally could. i literally could not stop myself and kept on doing it, though i did get control back after fighting for my body, i'll still never forget it.
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

hmm, never lost control during a fight, but of course, i'm six foot, four inches tall and can bench almost 220 pounds. not that i bench regularly, but hey.

adreneline has helped on other occasions, however. the first really long bike ride i took, i nearly fell off i was so tired. then adreneline kicked in and i was practically where i needed to be, and the muscles didn't ache until i stopped moving them.

i know, you don't want a life story. but you got it anyway.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:10 am  Reply with quote

its basically the same thing: humans dont want to give up, never, and they never will give up despite the odds. like when you were biking, you just shut off your brain and MADE your body do it! its like reprogramming the matrix so that you have different sensory abilities.

maybe the barrier is much less than we think.
Zenzirouj
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

The barrier is weaker than you think. The next time you're feeling tired or something hurts, it's actually pretty easy to just use will power to overcome it. Try it sometime, it comes in handy.
thoth87
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:07 am  Reply with quote

the mind is the strongest muscle, capable of doing anything that is normally concidered impossible. it is because of this imposed impossibility that the world is so, worldly, for lack of a better word.

if we did not limit ourselves by saying what can't be done, then perhaps 99% of the species would be 'enlightened'.

perhaps not, of course, but hey, it's possible.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:35 am  Reply with quote

thats true, and interestingly enough, the brain that detects all the pain feels no pain of its own, it has no nerves in it that can. what can this mean? its a biological reference to mind over matter, because its very easy to do and ive done it many times myself. its kinda cool too, just because you dont feel anything even though you can see or feel inside that youre actually in pain.
Page 1 of 5
New Post   Reply Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme