FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

New Post   Reply verbal kung-fu <- there is no spoon Forum Index
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:17 am  Reply with quote

A rose by any other name is still a rose, but if you dont have the original name, that phrase doesnt work! mwahahaha! and while you could, you cant in the society that you were raised in, so oh well.
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Touchet'. that phrase wouldn't work... but it would still be a rose...

blargh...
transport22
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

thoth87 wrote:
it could be done. I don't wanna do it. like I said, I'm happy with what I got.

Happiness with what you got is a fine place to be. But, for argument's sake, how could you create a language or communicate to another without contrast and comparison?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:56 am  Reply with quote

you CANT! and thats the point! hats off to transport.

and thoth you keep proving my point! you need that original qualifier to even try to illustrate your point, even though the name is different, everyone sees something as having a name, and once the person gives it a name its what they see it as the rest of their life unless given good reason to change! its the way the teaching happens on the planet!

and like i said (to reiterate) a rose by any other name is still a rose, but you have to know its a rose in the first place! mwahahahaha! techincality fests are fun sometimes.
tayne33
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

beest you said "everyone sees something as having a name" prove it
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Tayne's got you there. babies don't look up and say "my, what a lovely mobile above me", they say "what the hell is that?". and I'll grant that humans are pretty much automatic in labeling things, but not everyone is. there's always an exception. like I said, it's not required, just convenient.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

...um...proof? look around dumbass, step off your arrogant high horse. Sorry tayne, but seriously.

everyone has a name for something, even if its before they know it. even babies look at things and recognize to some degree, "look its the thing that moves like that" when they look at a mobile. people use names to describe things and identify them. or perhaps you can tell me about an object or something without any adjectives or nouns or verbs. good luck with that!
transport22
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:04 pm  Reply with quote

thoth87 wrote:
and I'll grant that humans are pretty much automatic in labeling things, but not everyone is. there's always an exception. like I said, it's not required, just convenient.

But it is required to create a form of language or for communication to take place between human beings.
thoth87
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

...which is also a convenience. granted, we wouldn't be where we were today, but we'd probably still exist as a species were we not able to communicate. we'd just adapt into a more formidable singular hunter.
transport22
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

We'd still be here as a species, but exist more as animals than as humans. From my perspective, our greatest asset as a species is the mind's ability to dream, imagine, and create beliefs about reailty AND to communicate and share those beliefs and ideas, through some form of language, to others in order to evolve intelligently. It seems these traits are human, characteristics unique to us on the Earth sphere.

The adaptation into the singular hunter would have been a movement away from anything 'human' and into a form of life much more 'animal', but still of the same species, I agree.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, since its almost impossible to survive out in the wild alone with no communication, its more likely than not that the majority of our species would have been eaten by animals in the night and the rest while trying to hunt food, group efforts are what made it possible, i mean just lookin back in history.

And there would of course be no society or guidelines or rules either, which is both a good and bad thing, but more of a bad thing in my opinion, anyway, yeah, basically the same as transports, if we could overcome the difficulty we'd definitley be animals, but even animals communicate and cooperate for the most part, and to do that, guess what they have to have?
thoth87
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

allright, allright. you guys win.

YOUR LOGIC IS FLAWLESS
transport22
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Woo Hoo!
<jumps up and does a lepercaun clickety-heel dance>
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:15 am  Reply with quote

WOOHOO! WE WIN! WE WIN! WE...oh forget it.
tayne33
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:56 am  Reply with quote

but if we have such a capacity for imagination and thinking within our own head, why do we have a need to comunicate, mabe the only thing that cloaks the truth is someone elses truth.
Page 9 of 11
New Post   Reply Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme