FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

Goto page 1, 2  Next

New Post   Reply hard progressive trance <- there is no spoon Forum Index
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

In general, music is a great thing. i like all kinds of music, because i think about music like i think about my beliefs. and one thing is very clear in listening: that music can do anything to a person.

It can hurt to a great extent by calling forth memories of pain.

It can heal to a great extent by calling forth memories of joy.

it can depress to a great extent by calling forth memories of sadness.

It can lighten one's soul to a great extent by calling forth memories of happiness.

In short, music has the same power as a computer program like the matrix. it can do whatever you want it to do to you, and the results rest on your shoulders alone, so choose your path wisely in this field as well.
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

i know what you mean, but it seems to me that you are thinking along the lines of listening. perhaps only musicians will understand me, but when you play, i mean actually play and not just read from a sheet, it's like to dying and being reborn. all of your emotion comes flowing out from you to be heard and observed by all. the world suddenly dosn't matter, only you and the music exists. and when you play like this, there is no such thing as 'a wrong note'.

at least, that's just how i do it.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:23 am  Reply with quote

thats what i meant by the message. music is based on the artists, and whatever emotion they choose to convey will be transmitted to the listener. and for each person the reaction is different. perhaps to some sad memories are happy, and painful memories are joyous. its all interpretation, choice once again.
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

more feeling than interpritation. those that try and 'interprit' music are those that least understand it.

take a classmate of mine, for instace. we both play the tenor saxophone durring class, and she is much better than i am at reading the music. but that's all she can do. she can't feel it, she can't play unless it's from the page or from a memory of something she read before.

when i play, i can read music, but i try not to. i feel the music more, and i feel my insturment. my classmate can play the right notes because she reads them and knows that that particular fingering makes that particular note. i can play the right notes for the same reason, but i don't. i know that a particular fingering makes a particular sound, and not just the right set of notes.

she reads the music, and i feel it.

this also explains why i am soo much better at improv than she is...

not to be self glorifying or anything, and not to be mean either, but she just -can't- play improv.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

its just like here, some of us are better at viewing things while keeping an open mind, and others *cough* zenzirouj *cough* prefer to attack others. its all personal preference i guess.

and maybe a little bit of spit and bubblegum. and thats definitely true, those who try to interpret music have no real understanding of it.
TheOne
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:24 am  Reply with quote

I agree, those who attempt to interperet anything are those who have the least feel for it. If they could feel it, they would know it, and not feel the need to interpret it. But, getting back to the main idea, I disagree with thoth87. When I play sheet music, everything else slips away. When I improv, I feel self-concious and worry about doing it "wrong" (even though there really is no "wrong" in music).
sporaxis
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

i knew a chick who could hear a piece of music once, then sit down and play it on the piano immediately, no mistakes. used to irritate the bejibbers out of me a) because I didn't like her much anyway b) because I would struggle for days in front of a piece of sheet music just to sound not quite mediocre.

i only play the pen-on-paper now. I still whistle occassionally...
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

i once played the piano, but never was that good at it. sucked ass at reading music, so i had to labor over things for a week or so too. ive taken up residence writing poems and the occasional short story, and amassing anime series. even though i dont play it much anymore, it does for me all the things i mentioned in the first post, and sometimes something else. i cant quite explain it, but it just like everything is right with the world. anyone else ever get that feeling?
thoth87
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

The One...

let it slip away.

Improv is all about falling out of the universe and becoming your own entity for one bleakly eternal second. just close your eyes, move your fingers, and let it all slip away.

you kind of remind me of the person i used as an example earlier... no insult intended.
sporaxis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:01 am  Reply with quote

well, with the sheet music thing, I did notice I would improve when I would practice on a piece I actually liked, but you know, when you're taking lessons your piano teacher has other ideas for you. that can be quite stifling. I tend to get huge mental blocks when other people get involved with what's best for me. tee hee.

i get that feeling [..everything is right with the world..] when i hear certain melodies in songs, they just seem to ring on the inside...the feeling for me is very akin to finally sneezing. I want to shout, "YES, someone got it right! That's it exactly!" Sometimes I actually do shout it...

as for improvisation and originality, I think they are appreciated in the musical arena, but they are required/expected in writing. I mean, in creative writing class we didn't practice writing by copying War and Peace. *shrug* I may be off base there, as I was just improvising... ;)
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:03 am  Reply with quote

i definitely agree with the sheet music thing. and music mainly helps me daydream heroic feats involving my nerdy slightly overweight pudgy framed self. but every so often i get that same feeling that they hit the nail on the head, only AFTER smashing most of their fingers and toes trying too. but hey, some of them just do it for the money anyway and didnt even WRITE it. oh well, some things you just gotta live with.
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Beest, man. get back into music, seriously. and try jazz too. you'll dig it eventually, even if you don't at first. it'll really fall into place, especially on the keys. you can have alot of fun with jazz on the keys.

and Sporaxis, you got the pen-and-paper deal perfect. you're right about alot of things, music is mostly interpritation, and writing is almost exclusively originality. but the great thing about music is that it isn't what you interprit, but how you interprit it. me and this cat I know both love jazz. he does, of course, play trumpet, and i play the sax, so you'd expect a little variation in interpritation, but the ammount is actually staggering. while trying to figure a song out on how to play it to best effect, he may feel a slow, steady tempo, while i might see a high speed 144 tempo to be the best. he could hit the turns up two steps instead of 1, and i could feel that we don't really need a turn at all.

it's all about the feeling.

Last edited by thoth87 on Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:19 am  Reply with quote

oh i love jazz, its...how to describe...i guess its just so much FUN! and thats something you can actually dance to as a bonus, and it gets CRAAAZY! okay my rants done now. *cough* *belch*
sporaxis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:15 am  Reply with quote

hmm...I do like "funky" jazz, or jazzy funk, but mostly the funk part. Great point about "how you interepret" the music, thoth, however, previously you said those that interpret music are the least likely to understand it. I imagine music from my fingers would come across like a first grader reading a history book out loud, neither interpreted nor understood...izat kinda' like what you mean?

My Dad played Sax in an official "honky tonk", which is too funny, picturing my Dad as a "hep cat" back in the day. If I didn't have photos I wouldn't believe it.

My sister played/plays everything else. She's great on flute and tore up the trombone, and she just got a violin on a whim, which has been hilarious. We are not really people of stringed things, and I'm fascinated by the whole "priming the bow" ritual.

My grandmother still plays this jangly electric guitar stuff, kind of bluegrass with an amp deal. It's surreal, watching this old lady get her jams off...*eeegads lady*

Gosh, now that I think about it, I'm kind of a non-musical anomaly in the family. Wow.
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:36 pm  Reply with quote

from your particular fingers, which happen to be rather inexperienced in music...er, yes.

it would be like a kiddie reading from a book that's too advanced. but the point is, sooner or later, that kid'l be able to not only understand what he's reading, but so will everyone around him, although they'll all find a different understanding of the jam, tune, lick or what have you. (wha! i just encouraged you subliminally to start playing music! now you'll dig out your dad's ol' axe and do some major jamming!)

(oh, and if you want to do some jazz-soloing... and you learn your scales... then play the scale like this):

first note
third note (flatted)
fourth note
fifth note (flatted)
fifth note
seventh note (flatted)
eighth note

and that's your standard Blues Scale... BWA!
Page 1 of 2
New Post   Reply Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme