100%
 100%  [ 9 ]
Knowledge
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

thoth87
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Knowledge is knowing. we are taught, we learn, we know. of course, knowledge is based on givens. we know that this and this is true, if this is there. without the givens, however, most can't even begin to attempt to use their knowledge. "wait a minute, that can't happen!" is a common statement from those that we concider 'knowledgeable' or 'intelegent'.

Wisdom is doing. we do, we learn, we become wise. wisdom is knowing what happens when something else happens before it, but it is also knowing that the same thing dosen't always happen. the truly wise are the ones that understand anything is possible, but in this they are inferior to their knowledgeable counterparts as they are less able to conceptualize the world in scientific means, because science tells us that nothing is possible unless science says so.

of course, wisdom brings us closer to the truth.

but philosophy, philosophy is a whole different volume.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:43 am  Reply with quote

wisdom, definitely. If you read my post on Plato's Allegorical Cave, that sums it up right there. besides, knowledge is somewhat repetive and after a while, boring as hell.

Its like comparing (political spectrum again, sorry) Mill to Rosseau. On Liberty and The Social Contract express this exact question of knowledge vs wisdom. the supporters of each in the order mentioned.

There are pros and cons to each, but in the end, in my opinion, wisdom is the vastly superior and overall more beneficial coice that can be made out of the two. Not to say that knowledge is useless, just that knowledge, like opinions, is subject to change without notice.
TheOne
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Knowledge is the understanding of the world around us, and why it works the way it does. It is based on givens only in that it is by basing certain facts on others is the way that the human mind organizes life. It is not boring, it is essential to existance. Wisdom, however, is the ability to apply that knowledge to that existance. Therefore, wisdom is the greater trait.
Jana Stormraven
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:04 am  Reply with quote

although this may simply regurgitate the other views that have already been expressed:

we all search for wisdom within our daily lives. we ask questions and we strive to learn.
knowledge can be attained through many sources and different ways whereas wisdom has to be found and achieved through the aspects of life we choose to consider.
wisdom is stronger and wisdom is valuable. knowledge changes, weakens, and can be destroyed. wisdom is open for all and open for advancing.

knowledge is not power: wisdom is.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

is wisdom power? if wisdom is power it contradicts itself. because power is a material thing that is that basic desire of the human mind. in Sigmund Freud's view, the id enacting itself, the dark side pusing forward, and i happen to agree on that view.

wisdom is beyond power, it is something that a few very select have been able to attain, and even fewer will do so if society continues as it is. if you want something that brings power, knowledge does bring power, but only materially based. wisdom brings something more, what it is i do not know, even after all my thinking.
Datura
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Neither. The search is greater than the truth, the end, the wisdom or the knowledge, because the ultimately neither exist.

Just my opinion.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

but that still brings up the crucial question! how do we define truth???? before we do progress we need to have a somewhat similar view of what the truth is! (in my opinion) because people lack the backbone to throw out their own thoughts into the pot in mass, preferring to go with the flow, we need some kind of catalyst like that to liven up the progress a bit!

and another question that is brought up by your statements datura: if knowledge is power and wisdom is not, does that have a significant effect on humanity? i myself think so but am interested to hear your views on it before i put mine out! (just to emphasize my previous point)
thoth87
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

a friend of mine once said that truth is what you see it to be. another said that truth is tentative, and yet a third that 'everything is true, from a certain point of view'... oh, wait, that was Obi Wan, wasn't it.

those are three possibilities, but i tend to agree with none of them. truth is...

well, i have my own ideas.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

i myself happen to agree with one of those. "the truth is what you see it as" i know that currently the entire human race is pretty crappy in most parts, but the fact that some people have a good view of what the truth is really does make you feel a lot better.

and i happen to believe in the kind of childish innocent view of the meaning of life: everyone gets along, no more violence, no more hatred...and the whole nine yards. and its like i said, most people dont have anywhere NEAR this idea, but thats allright too. the fact that i know at least one other person who feels this way about life is good enough for me. and it, like many other things, gives me hope.
thoth87
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

but what about the raw skill and perfection that weilding a weapon brings? to me, when i'm sparing with someone else with wooden swords, i feel the weapon as an extension of myself that must be brought into sync with the rest of myself. and this can only happen with perfection of the art.

killing is not what i'm trying to promote. i actually find killing a rather natural thing, but not something that need be done by art, which i find swordsmanship to be.

that's just my idea.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

ah, now swordsmanship is a combination of both scales of the spectrum. its very beaututiful to watch and participate in. it does make the weapon feel like an extension of your body. however that still does not eliminate entirely the fact that it is still a means to kill others. and it actually does seem to be a natural thing for humans. i mean look at the roman collusseum. slaughter the innocent and the insolent! tonight at eight! only on FOX! we do have a *nicer* way of getting our fix of violence nowadays (cgi/makeup deaths in movies), where nobody actually dies.

i guess as times change so do opinions. *sigh* here we go again!
Datura
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
and another question that is brought up by your statements datura: if knowledge is power and wisdom is not, does that have a significant effect on humanity? i myself think so but am interested to hear your views on it before i put mine out! (just to emphasize my previous point)

Neither is power. It is only power if you believe it to be so. The "truth" I mentioned was more the idea of truth, the perception of an end (which, of course, is always false). People like the idea of ends, of absolutes, because they always put humans at the centre of the universe, as the important step in the uber-master-plan. Which, you know, just kind of invalidates causality and evolution and all that shit which causes us to exist in the first place...
thoth87
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

and the worst part about it all... WE'RE CAPITILISTS! BLEAH! yea, it's the truth. most people care about absolutes, numbers and all that shit because they have to, in their view of things. and they have that view set in their minds as the end-all, absoulte truth.

they don't understand that nothing ever lasts...

but everything goes on, ever forward (or backward, or what ever random path it may decide to take).
Datura
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:32 am  Reply with quote

Consumers? Yes. All Capitalists (with a capital)? No.

People forget their Creator side, no matter where you're from or what you do or think. We are all Creators, and I think we need to focus on that more than Consumer to try and counteract the current human condition.
thoth87
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:54 am  Reply with quote

good point...

i like

www.homestarrunner.com

click on toons

click on features

click on strong bad email

watch the email entitled 'anything' for tips on making anything out of anything.

then wacth every other email, two or three times.
Page 1 of 7
New Post   Reply Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme