FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

New Post   Reply there is no board (misc. posts) <- there is no spoon Forum Index
thoth87
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Ah, possibly one of the most annoying phrases about. It's said everywhere, to make people look smarter, to make sitcoms look assinine (if they didn't in the first place) and to give low-budget films that gritty, low-budget taste that might have been lacking throughout the rest of the movie. Does anyone actually know what it means? Or has it's meaning been cast into the lost annals of time, never more to be known again? Shall it be another of those phrases that is repeated time and time again where there's no need for it? you know the type, the "I'm Rick James, Bitch!" phrases. yes, those.

It's not so much the phrase, just the people using it. To put it frankly, every time I hear it, I have to stop and say to myself "was that in context, or completely random?" And very rarely is it in context.

And what of it's meaning? "When in Rome" what? what is this elusive suffix that is always so nausiatingly left out when the abovementioned phrase is spoken? "When in Rome, roam?" "When in Rome, knock columns over?" "When in Rome, lift women's togas with a long stick and try not to be noticed?" WHAT THE HELL'S IT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!!??!?!?!shift+1!!!

GROG!

rant: Completed.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Classic line, forgot it's origin, meaning while in foreign places where you dont really know whats going on, screw it! Just play along and enjoy yourself.

The problem is that most people just leave out the second part since they think everyone knows it, and yet they dont even understand it or use it in the right context. You're not the only one who's irked by people using it.
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:30 am  Reply with quote

I know this Beest. I just felt like ranting.

leave me be.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

You should know better than anyone, here we NEVER let it be! we must observe and pick it apart until there is nothing left to debate! MWAHAHAHAHAHA! *cough* i'm good.
Page 1 of 1
New Post   Reply

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme