FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

New Post   Reply spiritual paths <- there is no spoon Forum Index
thoth87
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:33 am  Reply with quote

a friend of mine belives in every god, goddess and deity in history. he believes this: that they're all up in heaven having one eternal kegger, and they use Earth (and any other planets with life) as televisions. thoughts?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

now THAT is a view that I like. Then again I view all these gods as people who were once human. Guess its this damn relativity again.
thoth87
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

it's the way it is after all, but you know, we decided that LONG ago, bruh.
Realist
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:09 am  Reply with quote

lol, that's one of the best theories I've ever heard. It reminds me of another one, which basically says that as long as you believe in a god, they exist. But if people stop believing in gods then eventually the gods die.

Not my view, but amusing anyway.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

However even if children believe that the boogeyman exists, how many of you actually saw him when you were younger? How many of you ran into "it" lurking in sewers? and more importantly, lets go with something that actually exists.

Even if someone doesn't know that a...i dunno, lemur exists, it still exists wether they know it or not, even if they don't know its called a lemur and even if they never saw it, it's there, and perhaps they'll run into each other someday, perhaps not. perhaps descendants will find each other, perhaps not. It's about both belief and existance in the end i guess is what i'm trying to get out here.
Realist
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:26 am  Reply with quote

It wasn't a serious theory. If we are going to get on the topic of gods; we can track down a lemur and see it. However, no one has ever been able to track down and see and god. At least not without hallucinogens.
thoth87
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:33 am  Reply with quote

tracking down a god?

just ask. I can give you my address...

*cough*
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Oh really, what of people who worship things in the physical world? Then can their god not be found? hmm?
Realist
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

What things in the natural world? If you're speaking of druids, people who worship nature, then yes, they can find their gods, but are their gods really worthy of being worshiped?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

And simply because you worship a different one it gives you the right to denounce their beliefs as unworthy? They probably think the exact same thing about your god, so remember that heresy is all relative.
Realist
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Sort of; all this is false to me. I don't think there are any gods, or any spirits, or any spirituality at all. Honestly I can put as much faith in The Lord of the Rings being true as i can to any of the religions i've ever seen.

Yes, I do have that right. And I have the right to say that it is unworthy to others. As you have the right to say that I am unworthy. Isn't free speech wonderful? Ever wonder why so many religions try to supress it?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

You do have that right, yet only the ones who destroy more than they create throughout history actually exercise it. You'll note that i never said that you were wrong, i was just questioning if you thought you had that right. i dont believe that anyone has that right, least of all me. Thats why i said it, but if you look back on it, then you'll see that the only one who ever denounce others are ones looking to crush skulls and be the big boys on the block. (like the christians you're so fond of denouncing)
Realist
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

We have created so much in this world that we need to destroy many of the things we've created because they've outlived their usefulness. Regardless of how you said things, you do disagree with me, or you're trying to see if my idea stands up under inspection. I find it exceedingly unlikely that you're just testing my ideas.
I'm not going to say things nicer, if that's what you're asking. I believe that your ideas are incorrect, and I'm saying why I think that. You don't act on my ideas, which is the ultimate form of denoucement because it shows that you think my ideas are unworthy of living by. I just say it more publically.
Realist
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

A thought which came to me a few minutes after posting my last message: everyone wants to be the big boy on the block and to have people do things their way. Even you. If you didn't, why would you keep on posting here, trying to convince people of your ideas? Or at least, dissuade them of mine?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

For the same reason that you continue to post and try unsuccessfully to disprove mine. My beliefs cannot be either proven or disproven, whereas yours an entirely secular and humanistic, and entirely based in the scientific practice. And even so you will secede that science has only gone so far in many operations, and the the patients WILL alone has pulled them through.

And saying things in a cordial way is just a rule that everyone else who posts here practices, and it makes things more pleasing. I wont lie, i find a good portion of your posts exceedingly arrogant and closed minded, then again anyone who gets something directed with a basic statement of "you're wrong, you dumbass, here's why" will justify themselves, much like you do after each time i post. And you should ask yourself the same question, no? I post here for my reasons, you for yours, and i dont much care about your reasons. After all, we backyard philosophers only meet here to exchange ideas, much like the ancient Greco-Roman forums of ages past.
Page 1 of 3
New Post   Reply Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme