FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

Goto page Previous  1, 2

New Post   Reply verbal kung-fu <- there is no spoon Forum Index
Datura
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
this is a perfect example of the flaw with truth being subjective! if you believe that the body cannot live without the mind, it will not

And sometimes people don't believe anything so the Universe just makes their mind up for them. How many comatose patients or braindead vege's do you think seriously ponder the existence of the human mind before they're sideswiped by some idiot?

And what about animals. Do they have this pseudo-soul "mind" thing or are they just mindless machines? A lot of animal rights activists have issues with Descartes because of his philosophies not extending to creatures not as *cough* "evolved" as humans. Its kind of a by-product of his Christian background like the whole "Evil Genie" thing and the whole point that he doesn't apply his sceptiscism to his theory of god as he does to the rest of his existence.
thoth87
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Beest, you have reminded me of a song which i would like to recite...

In my rear view mirror
the sun's going down
leaving behind bridges in the road
i think of all the good things
that we have left undone
and i suffer premonitions
confirm suspicions
of the holocaust to come

the rusty wire
that holds the cork
that keeps the anger in
gives way
and suddenly it's day again
the sun is in the east
even though the day is done
two suns in the sunset
hmmm...
could be the human race is run...

like the moment when the breaks lock
and you slide towards the big truck
you stretch the frozen moments with your fear
and you'll never hear their voices
and you'll never see their faces
you have no recourse to the law anymore

as the windshield melts
and my tears evaporate
leaving only charcoal to defend
finally i understand
the feelings of the few

ashes and diamond
foe and friend

we were all equal, in the end...
-- Pink Floyd, The Final Cut
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

now that is a song that we can all live by, i think. i mean it sums up most of my personal philosophy in a pinch, and theres a message in it that i think of as well, and tell myself every morning after i wake up: there are always bad apples in the lot, but humans are a helluva lot better than we give ourselves credit for, since we just seem to focus on the bad apples.

theres another question to be discussed: why DO we always focus on the negative side of things and the worst case scenario. i myself never have once in my life and dont intend to (flaming optimist here). thoughts?
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

thos is a perhaps statement...

Perhaps humans are so heavily drawn to the darker, bleaker aspects of life because we feel that we must correct it in order to achieve inner peace and oneness.

or perhaps we feel it nescisary to degrate and torchure ourselves in the eyes of sone allpowerful being.

personally, i am as optimistic as they come. the best way to make me angry is to put a negitive spin on things, and then i'll just fix it.

the glass is ALWAYS half full, and if there's nothing in it, hey! you've got something to fill with something else down the road, which is better than not having it!
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:54 am  Reply with quote

its just like how my friends always tell me even when it all starts to go to shit: enough with that pesky optimism already! look around you!

but if you think the negative way, then you always begin to lose hope. and most of the time thats all youve got left when it goes COMPLETELY to shit.

besides optimisim is just more fun anyway. i mean id rather face each day with a smile than a frown and saying "god it all sucks" but thats just me
Page 2 of 2
New Post   Reply Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme