FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

New Post   Reply verbal kung-fu <- there is no spoon Forum Index
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
When exactly was it decided I was saying we're all going to "burn"? Can someone please point this out to me? Specific quotes instead of ranting interpretations please.

fine fine, it'll just all go to shit, and we're going to suffer the consequences, i was thinking about how we would probably start destroying each other with all our various weapons since we have them and all.

Quote:
Now now. You infer positive experiences but who says the ones I brought up aren't positive for those who commit them (emphasis on "commit" here)? Logicometre says: stop thinking one sidedly. Open your mind.

fine fine, if you want more political correctness ill give it. when you say it you mean good for the people who are causing pain on the majority of people, like the whites oppressing the blacks in slavery. when i say good, i mean for the majority of the people, the blacks being freed and then becoming equal federally and later in the mindset of most people. and maybe you should start thinking about the little guys (i know this sounds communist) because after all its no fun to be on the beating end of the stick.

Quote:
If you had even bothered to think about it, I was referring to the fact that the full/empty metaphor once again limits people to two stereotypes and closes down the myriad of options. I interpreted your comment about "Frame of existence" in the form of the two stereotyping facets presented by the question, not the frame of existence of the generalisation you seem to be making about the entire human condition.

While it does limit it was very good to illustrate out opposite points of view. like i said basically youre a pessimist im an optimist. just saying that, besides you need to open your mind too, because while its not the best comparison, its pretty accurate for this description, at least for the time being, until one of us gives way :}
thoth87
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

i'd like to point out, that you don't have to be soo specific on this board. the thing of it is that political correctness is shit. catch the gist and run with it. ask for clarification if you need it, else, use what you're given! stop bickering over mis-quotes and wild interpritations!

course, if you must, then continue.

if you truly MUST.

what i mean, is that a simple 'the glass is half full' vs. a 'the glass is half empty' is fine for something like this. so what if there's litterally millions (probably billions) of possibilities between the two amounts of chocolate milk (that's what it is, so get over it :P)? do you really want to take the side that 'the glass 2.59803 ounces full'? i sure as hell don't.

that's all...

for now!
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:12 am  Reply with quote

thank you! thats the point that ive been trying to make datura see...(without success i might add) but i think that she must continue, and in defense, i must. such is life sometimes.
Datura
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:57 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
and maybe you should start thinking about the little guys

Dude, I'm Queer ( bi precisely) Don't preach to the converted. I think it's just another part of a fundamental predisposition I possess to always be able to see a shitload of facets to too many things *shrugs* Just because I stick up for A in a certain conversation doesn't mean I'm gonna do it in the next. I just like playing devils advocate.

Quote:
like i said basically youre a pessimist im an optimist.

Yeah, and I'm a woman and you're a man, which is a *real* distinction, possibly the only one I can think of that you *could* cast valid nusturtions (sp?) about binary oppositions :P

Quote:
the thing of it is that political correctness is shit. catch the gist and run with it. ask for clarification if you need it, else, use what you're given! stop bickering over mis-quotes and wild interpritations!

But that's boring, ignorant and what I came to this board to escape. :P Political Correctness has just been given a bad name. I never said anything about being politically correct, I was just trying to illustrate a point.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Dude, I'm Queer ( bi precisely) Don't preach to the converted. I think it's just another part of a fundamental predisposition I possess to always be able to see a shitload of facets to too many things *shrugs* Just because I stick up for A in a certain conversation doesn't mean I'm gonna do it in the next. I just like playing devils advocate.

FINALLY! YOUVE SAID WHAT IVE BEEN WANTING TO SAY TO YOU!!!!!!

okay im calm now, and its like i put back on my signature *opinions once again subject to change without notice*

Quote:
Yeah, and I'm a woman and you're a man, which is a *real* distinction, possibly the only one I can think of that you *could* cast valid nusturtions (sp?) about binary oppositions :P

fine fine, now were gonna be sexist? okay, i can do that! now get back in the kitchen and FIX ME SOME PIE! *note* joke *note* and dont forget, how can we be sure we are female/male in another frame of existance like outside the matrix? we could have been switched around to massively confuse us and make us more dependent on the system, yes? thoughts?

oh, and dont forget, distinctions are subjective as well. :D

Quote:
But that's boring, ignorant and what I came to this board to escape. :P Political Correctness has just been given a bad name. I never said anything about being politically correct, I was just trying to illustrate a point.

this brings to mind a song one of my friends happened upon:

napalm sticks to little childen,
all the children of the world!
red and yellow, black and white,
they'll be burning through the night,
napalm sticks to little children
of the world!

is that enough of a ditch of political correctness for you datura? cause i want it outta here too!
Datura
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
ine fine, now were gonna be sexist?

Since when was acknowledging gender differences sexist?

Quote:
how can we be sure we are female/male in another frame of existance like outside the matrix? we could have been switched around to massively confuse us and make us more dependent on the system, yes? thoughts?

Will you settle for the mind/body difference?

It's a long one, but basically goes, that if Descartes was a female, he wouldn't have been so discounting of the physicality of the body and acclaiming the supremacy of the mind as he was. Fundamental phyisiological differences in females create different kinds of thought patterns than those usually found in males. Thanks to The Patriachy, these are discounted as "useless" and "inferior" (see my arguments for the Logic/Emotion issue) when without them, humans wouldn't exist. Sure, without this simulation/illusion/sceptic male domination of philosophy we wouldn't have The Matrix (and I wouldn't be having this conversation) but as a woman, I think complete rejection of the body and physical existence is utter stupidity. I got into huge arguments in one of my (all male cept for me) philosophy classes about the "I think therefore I am" issue since I completely disagreed with it, and believed "I am therefore I think" amoung other issues I have with Descartes. Feminst "soul" philosophies tend to be similar to new age spirituality that emphasises an almost Taoist focus on the "natural" going with your instincts, emotions and gut feelings. Which I don't think is too bad. But don't go overboard. On the same thread, Descartes was elevating the soul with his theories of the "Mind" to something "perfect" fufilling his requirements of the distinct and clear *coughmoroncough* unlike his experiences of his body and senses. If the fucker had lived through childbirth, he wouldn't be making such ridiculous statements. :P

But I think that's just because we have better orgasms :D and men are jealous of that. *snicker* Or perhaps it could be that we're the better sex, more in tune with our bodies (bleeding every month tends to do this to you) and therefore, live longer.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:17 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Since when was acknowledging gender differences sexist?

its not, but hey the way you said it sure made it sound like it (perceptions again)

the mind/body difference is very good, i must say that i agree with most...wait, nevermind ALL of the stuff youve said about it

But I think that's just because we have better orgasms :D and men are jealous of that. *snicker* Or perhaps it could be that we're the better sex, more in tune with our bodies (bleeding every month tends to do this to you) and therefore, live longer.

better orgasms? BETTER ORGASMS? well thats probably true, so i'll shaddup. and living longer is only partially being in tune with your body, its also a part of keeping yourself healthy and also the stubborn will not to kick the bucket!
Datura
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Like I said, women are more physiological, and connected to their bodies, therefore more likely to live healthier (at least phisically) lives than men. For all the focus on body image, female mental disorders etc etc, men are still more likely to die of heart disease, undiagnosed cancers, commit suicide, and suffer mental issues because of their lack of connection with their bodies. Thanks to the macho culture in all countries, men are also less likely to visit the doctor if they do think their might be something wrong.

It has very little to do with mind over matter, more like matter over mind :P
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:51 am  Reply with quote

however, you also forget that not all people care about the macho aspect of society, take me for example. im the farthest thing from macho really. if you're ever in atlanta (georgia) lets get together sometime and you can see for yourself. (i know this is kinda part of the macho aspect of asking girls out and what not, deal with it im using it to make my earlier point) i rather enjoy being the nerdy type, more interesting it is yes...
Datura
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
however, you also forget that not all people care about the macho aspect of society, take me for example. im the farthest thing from macho really.

Unfortunately, they're not the majority. We still live a Patriachy, as much as the anti-feminism lashback likes to proclaim it's all crap.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:25 am  Reply with quote

well that goes without saying. it takes time for things to change, and i seriously doubt we'll see it in our lifetime. but i think it will change, someday.
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

ah HA! you finally AGREE!!

and so do i , as a matter of fact...

holy F%*#@& CRAP!

but yea, that whole bit about the mind being more important than the body is pretty wacked. i personally think that unity of both parts is the best way to go. that's why i value (above most other things) my hand-eye coordination, skill with a sword, and (you may think me funny for this) the ability to dodge through a large, stiffleing crowd more quickly than nearly anyone i know, despite being nearly 6' 6... i said dodge, not plow, and i can do it (for the most part) without pissing anyone off to much because i 'touched them'.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

i can do that too, and its really funny too, for im not the smallest guy either, (more fat than muscle though) and i can get through crowds really well too. i can guaruntee that it takes both mind and body working together in reflex and presumption of external movements of others to pull off correctly!

unless youve got super mind powers, then you could probably fly OVER the crowd.
Datura
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Or just walk around a city enough, and you become l33t dancemaster. Or at least, that's how I learned to dodge wackos, beggers and goths.
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

hmm...that might work...never tried that. and i do hate them goths...
Page 4 of 7
New Post   Reply Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme