FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

New Post   Reply spiritual paths <- there is no spoon Forum Index
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 am  Reply with quote

im in spain for the next two weeks (starting yesterday) and i thought id share what ive come across.

When i arrived here and even still, i cant get it through my mind that this is a different country. its just like every other city, only english isnt the primary language. but overall its just like Atlanta (georgia for those who arent in the US and post/read). we even have the same views on many things, like how to sell to consumers, how to get people into stores, and the like.

What it makes me realize is that the barriers between people arent as great as we make them seem. after all here i am in a country where i can understand but not speak very well, spending a different kind of currency, and loving it!

My question here is, since were all so similar, why DO we create these stupid barriers between ourselves. if we all actually took the time to care about it the problem would be resolved so quickly its hillarious.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

As recently as 10 or 15 years ago, cities around the world weren't homogenized (or should I say McDonalds and Starbuck-ized?). The feeling of similarity, in my opinion, has been palpable for a relatively short time; when I briefly lived in Scotland as a teenager, there was a pretty significant culture shock going back and forth between the UK and the US, or between any European/Asian city (no matter how cosmopolitan) and a city of comparable size in the US. My father has travelled to 35 or 40 countries, and we've taken several international trips in recent years, so I've had the chance to ask him what he thinks. He agrees that most places around the world have become more alike in the past decade or so, partly because of the unstoppable march of corporate consumerism and partly because of technology.

When I enrolled at a foreign university, there was no Internet to speak of (well, aside from the one used by geeks at CERN), and everything -- getting info, prospectus mailings, etc. -- was done by post. And different nations and regions maintained their unique language, style, and quirks. (You just didn't get a sense of a business partner's cultural environment from, say, a TELEX message!)

Put it in perspective: Right after the Berlin Wall fell, the only way to get a piece of the wall was by (1) hiring a Turkish kid with a mallet to chip chunks out of the wall or (2) knowing someone who had hired or could hire that kid. Today, all you need is eBay!

The world has changed--it's easier to travel and easier to communicate. However, it's also a less interesting place by the day.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:57 am  Reply with quote

it is less interesting, however it brings me to something i was going to start a different post for, and probably will later. at our cores, stripped of everything else, were just humans, and wed do our best to remember that.

and im at the medditerranean swimming in it now, and DAMN its beautiful here. and you can hear birds and actually enjoy your surroundings too. its wonderful.
Page 1 of 1
New Post   Reply

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme