FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

New Post   Reply there is no board (misc. posts) <- there is no spoon Forum Index
azurelite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

I've been working with this one for a few weeks now, and I'm interested in what other people might think about this argument. Truth is such in integral part of nearly all philosophical arguments, but what is it REALLY?

The simplest answer I have come up with is that truth is what you, yourself percieve as reality. This makes it entirely possible (and probably) that two or more people would perceive something the same way, and therefore have a common truth between them. However, the opposite must also be possible then, that two or more people would perceive the same thing in MULTIPLE different ways, and since they both perceive it to be reality, it would be truth for both (or all), but not COMMON truth.

An example of this would be that if I beleived that pigs could fly, and I perceived that as part of my reality. That would be the truth for me. You, on the other hand would beleive that pigs could not fly, and that would be perceived as part of your reality, and therefore be truth for you. Both are truth, but not common truth.

Generally, when we speak of truth, we are presenting it as in indisputible fact that must be common to everyone. However, if truth is mearly the perception of reality by the individual, truth in this form cannot exist, since there is the POSSIBILITY that someone would perceive it in a different way.

Also, I have established truth in a temporal sense. Meaning when truth can, cannot, and does exist. Firstly, I think that most people would agree that truth is definatly in the past and the present. What has happened and what IS happening is reality. Our perception of that reality is what defines the truth for each of us, but no matter how we perceive it, it is the truth for us.

As to the future, it is impossible for truth in this sense to exist. We do not know what is going to happen in the future. At best we can make educated guesses as to what will take place, but infinate variables will most probably change the outcome.

For example: I have a tree in my back yard. If I were to build a stone monument at the base of the tree, and carve into it "There is a tree here." That would be true NOW. Assuming the stone monument is not destroyed, and preserves until the end of the world, the tree will NOT. The tree could be cut down tomorrow, or destroyed by lighting, or rot away over hundreds of years, but it will eventually be gone. The monument will remain, and while it states the truth TODAY, the moment the tree is removed, it will no longer be true. This can be applied to a large number of scenarios, although I am lothe to state "all scenarios" or even "most scenarios" since this is a new idea for me, and I am still working with it.

Apologies for the long post, but I'd really like to hear what any of you have to say about truth!

ps. sorry for the poor english, it's late.
transport22
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Azurelite. = )

Your post was valid; truth is what you perceive as reality. It's a way of consolidating logic, imagination, experience, and influence into a belief system that reflects a view of the world, a creative story we constantly paint as reality. It is always subjective, always relative, and always subject to change. Truth is also an intellectual yearning, a desire to understand, comprehend, and communicate our personal views of reality to ourselves and others by channeling phenomenon into concept. Thus, truth is always a reflection of our reality, subtle fragments of mental energy claiming to be the totality of our whole experience.

Or maybe not. <shrugs> That's just my current point-of-view.

On a personal note, I define universal truth, if there is such a thing, as the fusion of creativity and paradox. I'll elaborate if anybody gives a hoot.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Well mine's basically the same as transports, but simply put, the truth is what you percieve as real, and in all the various aspects of life. and shoot, why not, elaborate some, i'm curious transport man!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:18 am  Reply with quote

i agree
Page 1 of 1
New Post   Reply

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme