FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

New Post   Reply maya (hindu and buddhist thought) <- there is no spoon Forum Index
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Well, i'm not a fan of numbers, so here's the second one. What are the illusions that we put forth on a daily basis to survive in the society that is present?

there are many that can be classified as an unlimited amount of different things, but i'll list a few off the top of my head. Pretending to be interested in someone just to sleep with them (something i've noticed quite a bit among some of my fellow college goers). presenting undeserved and over the top flattery in hopes of personal advancement. Pretending to be unconcerned when ones feelings for another run quite deeper than one leads others to believe. Finally, driving someone away against your own will to keep them from something that might cause them undue harm.

now then, the first two things, generally considered negative traits, are generally more frequent in todays society, I openly concede that. But like in physics, for every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. like yin and yang, the forces constantly vying for superiority in a futile, endless battle.

Thats a lot to ponder in one post, so i'll leave you to it. thoughts?

*opinions subject to change without notice*
thoth87
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Are they truly to survive, or to exist more carnally?

Sex is by no means a requirement for personal survival, and so attempting to trick someone into appease your own appetites is nothing more than a rather vile attack on the other person's integrity, humanity and mentality.

as far as pushing someone away that you care about to cause less harm to them... This seems a much more positive thing, and at the same time is very difficult, humanly.

Humans are selfish, and so to push someone away for their own mental safety is almost inhuman, or superhuman.

But then, Love is a very selfish thing, and to protect another from hurt could truly be one of the greatest acts of love.

What do -you- cats think?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

Well when i say survive i mean be allowed to function on any and all of the levels of society that have been arbitrarily decided upon.

Aha, but it IS a means for survival. without reproducing and passing the world onto the next generation humans wouldnt exist at all! though it isn't personal survival directly, it could be in the end. Also, it may not be a direct attack, but one needs those things to be able to do much of anything

Pushing one you care about away is by far one of the most difficult things possibe for anyone to do, but sometimes people must do it nonetheless.

And I dont believe we are inherently selfish, like I say so often I do believe that people are generally better than we give them credit for, and even if it is selfish, it is also out of selflessness, because it will cause you at least as much pain as the person you push away.

And I do believe that protecting those you care about is perhaps the greatest act of love humanly possible.
Sky
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
And I do believe that protecting those you care about is perhaps the greatest act of love humanly possible.

totally agree

(hello by the way, i know ive not been around for a while.... im sorry, mega busy!!!! but its great to be back)

so, ye.... i agree with everything your saying there.... well most of it.
Those 4 points are very true, people do do those things but a lot of the time it is natural....

sex is natural, everybody gets the urge once in a while, more often than others, and so yeah pretending you like sum1 just for sex is natural, im not sayin its right its happened to me and i sure didn't like it!!! but it happens, and who can stop it?????

the same applies to the other points... i mean if you think doing something can advance your career etc, then ofcourse your going to do it... again im not saying its right but its something people do.....

dont you agree...???
thoth87
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

well, you may not do it if you think that it's wrong.

But most people would, because most folks are taught that, by example.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Precisely what I was saying! There are so many different illusions that some believe must be presented for various reasons, some of which can be deemed necessarry, some can be deemed simply indulgent, but all throughout, the beliefs that drive the various illusions and motives make all the difference.
thoth87
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

Exactly. You have to have a reason to present such ideas to the masses, but truthfully your ideas don't have to be all that great. They simply have to have the vague shadow of credibility.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

However, to those who also seek to present their own ideas, you have to have a bit more than a shadow, lest your own ideas get shot down! An interesting dichotomy no?

*Opinions subject to change without notice*
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

But of course! of course you don't have to dissuade your opponents, only convince the masses that yours is the proper, correct, and most agreeable course.
Page 1 of 1
New Post   Reply

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme