PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Yogic Psychology in Cope's book "Yoga and the Path for the True Self"

The Five Kleshas:

1. Avidya: Ignorance
2. Asmita: "I-ness"
3. Raga: Attraction
4. Dvesha: Aversion
5. Abhinivesha: Clinging to life and fear of death

These five afflictions are seen as being in a kind of cause and effect sequence and are listed in the order in which they arise. Ignorance is the ground from which all the other afflictions spring. Out of ignorance arises "I-ness": the belief in and clinging to a separate, solid, "small s" self. Out of "I-ness" arise attraction and aversion: our complete identification with our likes and dislikes. And out of this inevitably arises clinging to life and fear of death: a deluded and desperate desire for life to be small, neat, permanent, and solid rather than vast, incomprehensible, impermanent, and discontinuous...as it really is.

In addition to these five afflictions, there are four erroneous beliefs that sustain the delusion of the kleshas.

1. The belief in the permanence of objects
2. The belief in the ultimate reality of the body
3. The belief that our state of suffering is really happiness
4. The belief that our bodies, minds, and feelings are our true Self

When one unconsciouslly lives a life based upon these afflictions and beliefs, the myth of materialism is believed (the deluded view that 'gross apparent reality' is all that is).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Very interesting points, and i think they about speak for themselves, very interesting specific name and clarifications though...can't say i agree with the five kleshas exactly, nor the erroneous beliefs, but about half of each. Interesting view. need to contemplate more before specifics.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

yea, I'm with Beest... those Kleshas don't seem 'correct' to me. but hey.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah...like I've always said I'm not into any one system of beliefs. I was working at the yoga studio a few days back and ran into that book. I'm not much into them myself although they make sense and I can respect 'em. I think more than anything I was trying to fill the 'spoon void' (there were a few days there when nobody posted and I wanted to break up the stagnation). <shrugs>
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Exactly, i do respect them, and half of them seem about right, but the way i see it theres much more than five goods and four evils in terms of what you have to look out for in life. Though think about how long a book would hafta be to list em all...freakin HUGE!
Page 1 of 1
New Post   Reply

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme