FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

New Post   Reply verbal kung-fu <- there is no spoon Forum Index
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

or, should the opportunity arise, you know at least a good angle to tackle a problem if you've encountered it before. but that doesn't always mean there's something to fall back on... completely new experiences are not uncommon in this world, and probably not uncommon in any other either.
transport22
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Sometimes I use chess as an anology for life (although I haven't played in forever).

Hindsight is like being able to spot a trap or pattern of the past (either of your own making or from another). When you see it, you know that you've been down that particular avenue before, that you've made that move in the past.

You know that there's always a chance (sometimes a good one) that it will lead to a similar set of events....so to learn the game a little better, sometimes you make a different move based upon logic, intuition, and gut instincts. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it always creates a different game (even if the same move is taken). In the end we learn one way or the other, but respecting our experiences increases the probability at being a better 'player' in life.
thoth87
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

true enough! even if you're jumped by something completely new, more than likely, it's at least minutely similar to something you've allready experienced, and you can use that as a base. but I don't like using Chess as an analogy for life... I don't like the idea of being a piece in a game. or were you meaning the actual player in the game?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Technically you're controlling the pieces of the game, which sounds even worse in my opinion, and anyway....yeah...moving along.

And interesting enough, even if you can see the trap sometimes you have to accept it and let it happen (possibly again) to win the game sometimes, correct? What of those rules? then life isn't so sugar coated obvioulsy.
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

true enough. there's always a problem, just weather or not you can handle it is the question. and sometimes you have to make a sacrifice. but just out of curiosity, why don't you like the analogy of the controller?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Controlling the lives of others is worse than having no control over your own, i personally couldnt live with that responsibility myself.
thoth87
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

but what if you picture the pieces more as parts of your life than other people? does that work?
transport22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:35 am  Reply with quote

In my own use of the analogy, I see myself as the player, the pieces, and the opposing player as well. Actually, I see it all as movements of energy. But, the only time I really use chess as an analogy with life is when dealing with the so-called 'limiting patterns' recognized from the past (hindsight).... energetic patterns that can be seen as definite traps that I know will hinder my progress this time around.

Oh...and those times when you you've studied your 'board' and the only move you know is the right one, from my perspective of course, is that risky, courageous one that gets your heart beating and makes you feel alive.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Perhaps, but when you do it like that its like manipulating those who help you along the way, i just associate the names and shaped pieces with human-like meanings and connections.
transport22
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:13 am  Reply with quote

Actually, in my own use of the analogy, I see it as protection and not manipulation. And the moves we make don't always have anything to do with people...sometimes its with objects, or nature, or ideas we project upon ourselves. When it does involve a relationship to another person, my 'move', if I'm even conscious of what's transpiring, is based more upon an action they've committed in the past that lowered the vibration of the friendship then a sacrifice of a good friend to reach some selfish form of achievement.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:23 am  Reply with quote

How can you be sure you are protecting? Like i said, sometimes, more often than not in chess, you have to sacrifice one or more of the pieces to win the game. Thats part of it, i'd like to see if anyone could actually manage to win without losing a piece.

The protection that you speak of is impossible, since theres always a near guarunteed change of losing something/one along the way.
thoth87
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

well, there is loss both in chess and in life, so I can see where that could be an actual viable idea, but not a preferable one. there's a variable: Prefrence. we're going to use the analogies that we prefer, weather because we like them more, or we made them up, or what have you. thoughts?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Indeed, thats the entirety of the point I was making, nothing more for me to contribute here really.
Page 5 of 5
New Post   Reply Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme