FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups    Register   Profile   Log in 
there is no spoon Forum Index

New Post   Reply spiritual paths <- there is no spoon Forum Index
thoth87
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

i was driven into the rabbit hole by my parents. my mother is too 'earthbound' for my tastes, my father is a little, erm, let's say 'more experience than intelegence', and both smoke way too much, which an aspiring saxophone player simply cannot abide by. i spend more time outside than anywhere else, either writing or just thinking, but alot of the time i end up thinking out loud, with my saxophone. the freedom of music and the extra time spent thinking started me on the road of where i am today, although i found this site accidentally (by goofing around and typing in 'thereisnospoon.com)

that's how it was done,

ya know, not so deep sh*t like that.

An excerpt from Your Possible Pasts by Pink Floyd

"they flutter behind you
your possible pasts
some bright eyed and crazed, some frightened and lost
a warning to anyone still in command
of their possible futures,
to take care"

"By the cold and religious
we were taken in hand
shown how to feel good and told to feel bad
and stretched out behind us the banners and flags
of our possible pasts lie in tatters
and rags"

Last edited by thoth87 on Wed May 28, 2003 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PurpleGoddess
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:02 pm  Reply with quote

I found this site the same way! Fooling around and typing in 'thereisnospoon.com'.

Loved the lyrics to that song. Never listened to Pink Floyd before, maybe I should start.

They say music is also a way to free your mind.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

i too found the site just randomly typing it in. turned out to be one of my favorite mistakes. and music is definitely a tool that can aid the soul, but it can hurt or heal it in the same extent when used.
Cam
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:21 am  Reply with quote

The language of the soul.
I too, am a huge music lover. It is my number one passion.
I've never needed drugs to get a high. Music has been my heroin.

Ironically, a lot of my favorite muscians apparently were heavy heroin users. Maybe I'm experiencing the residual effects.

Thanx for the background thoth87.
teknorat
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

I also found this site by typing in thereisnospoon.com
Imagine my delight when i found this little gem of a forum. I am a huge fan of the matrix especially the subtext and the philosophical side of it. For me the matrix was an awakening it introduced me to philosophy and the many forms it can take.
sporaxis
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:20 am  Reply with quote

I found this site when my sister linked me to it. We both went on quite a study-the-philosophies-behind-the-matrix binge after we saw the movie. We were floored that Hollywood would put money into something that attempted to recap just about every philosophical debate of the last two thousand years, like some exec said, "Hey, let's make this one for the rabbit and her sister. They've suffered our vapid ways all this time."

As for my current spiritual path, I find it necessary to defend drug use. Looking back, it was indeed the catalyst that opened me up to alternative ways of thinking and viewing life. It put me into a circle of friends who were not rigid in their thinking and their religion, got me away from people who didn't question life and society enough, if at all. But you know, different strokes and all. I still debate myself on what to say to my neices on this topic. Perhaps something like, "Write me a 500 word essay on the allegory of the cave and the Matrix so you can avoid the risk of dirty acid." I dunno. It kills me to see my neices being programmed the same way I was.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

but if theyre being programmed the same way you were, wont they break free of your programming eventuall? after all, limiting the mind just makes its rebellion more potent.
Hobo
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

"after all, limiting the mind just makes its rebellion more potent." - Nightbeest.

How do you figure that?
All it would do is (in any examples) make the numbers of peopls less but the actions more extreme- making it even less likely to work most of the time since the thing you are rebeling against has more power.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

thats what i meant. the more you limit something the more violent its rebellion will be, even if its numbers are less. its like why teenagers are supposedly the bad asses of the ages. we realized that we can break away from our limiters (parents) and try to do it every chance we get, just to show them that we can.

however think about it, i myself had and still have very little restrictions on myself because i make what seem to be the right choice and am not a COMPLETE prick, unlike some other people ive met along the way (at least thats what they are in my opinion, ill give a list of why if you want).

I guess since i wasn't really limited all that much, i never had any reason to rebel, and since more freedom is coming my way, ill probably ask myself if i even want it.

Theres another question right there, in fact. what if the machines dont really limit what humans do in the matrix because if they can choose their own path then they have no real complaints?
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:31 am  Reply with quote

that would in esscence make sense.

i don't see any problem with that.
sporaxis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:59 am  Reply with quote

"after all, limiting the mind just makes its rebellion more potent." - Nightbeest.

Sometimes having unlimited options can be just as paralyzing as having no options. Sometimes being limited can be as freeing as being unlimited, as you so potently state. You can limit the mind and it will try to break free, or you can limit the mind and it will be satisfied. Free the mind and it will look for limits, or free the mind and it will be satisfied. *shrug* Seems like a freaking crap shoot with a multitude of other factors also in play. I was pretty unlimited, and I've both hunted for things to rebel against as well as wished I'd had a few limits. Maybe it's all a matter of a subconscious search for the "in-between."
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:29 am  Reply with quote

however if you can create your own restrictions to rebell against if you wanted! since i was able to choose my path and not rebell based on the choices that i made, in effect i could also have chosed to simply rebel against the fact that i had this much freedom in the first place.

Its once again a matter of choice. i myself rather enjoy having control over my life and decisions rather than having to rebel constantly. besides like i said in another post, walking around while grabbing my nuts just seemed stupid and pointless, regardless of how many people did it.
The Er
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:43 am  Reply with quote

I'm rather amazed at the amount of people that actually found this site by accident.

I myself had the phrase There Is No Spoon loged in my mind
sub-conciously for a very long time, in fact around a year or two after watching the movie i saw it as a cheat for a videogame i was playing at the time, and something triggered in my brain, and from then on i just started writing ThereIsNoSpoon all over the place (You should see mine, and my classmates workbooks), and it was just me eventually typing it in one day that lead me to this place, which i have yet to find an equivalent to anywhere else.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

its actually more refreshing to find things by accident. ive found a damn good many things that way, and it tends to be much more rewarding.

except the time i found my shoe in the refrigerator...that was kinda weird...
Page 1 of 1
New Post   Reply

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme