25%  [ 1 ]
Pants!
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

Datura
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
first off, perhaps you wouldnt mind cooling it on jumping on every single technicality that thoth or me put up.

Oh c'mon. What's the point of being amateur philosophers if we don't waste time and energy on things that don't really matter :P :) ?

The board's been more lively and interesting since we've been having our little discussions lately anyway. But if you don't like it, fine. I'll stop posting.

*snort* yeah right. Deal with it.

Quote:
that being said! what you said about beliefs is where we have to clash again. we do not have to believe in any god(s) or entity(ies) at all. but most choose to to make the 'existance' in this framework purposeful and meaningful.

I never said anything about having to believe anything. I never said anything about belief at all. Go back and read it, and you'll realise I was commenting on production of meaning in religious deities, not individual belief or choice to believe or not :P

Quote:
thus we do not NEED any of it, but if we do choose to believe in something of the ilk, then we choose for ourselves what is and is not true, and what the entity(ies) really are and stand for.

Debatable. Interpretation means anything can stand for anything, but thanks to though-systems and influences don't. There's a general cognitive understanding of something, and then it slowly distills into the specifics and unique interpretations that are more reliant on the core of the individual than the social matrix it exists in. "Truth" relies entirely on these interpretations, as I'm sure we all well know.

Oh and choice is an illusion. In a universal sense. I'm with the Merovingian on that one :)

Quote:
Isn't the idea that there is no plan a master plan in itself?

*prrr* Mimo, have my babies?
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:24 am  Reply with quote

good. i agree with you for the first time on your first 2 points.

Quote:
Debatable.......Oh and choice is an illusion. In a universal sense. I'm with the Merovingian on that one :)

as is your point. it can stand for anything yes, and as a result its up to the person or instutution. and illusion or not is up for us to decide and live as such you know, and you believe what you CHOOSE to believe, i'll believe what i CHOOSE to believe. we'll settle up after.

Quote:
does it bother you that people NEED heroes?

no, it doesnt, really, because it gives people someone to look up to and aspire to. besides its always nice to have something/one to believe in.

Quote:
Isn't the idea that there is no plan a master plan in itself?

yes, but since the lack of a master plan being a master plan is not really a master plan but is a master plan its a great confusing paradox! welcome to my human condition.
thoth87
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

it dosn't bother you? cause it bothers the hell out of me.

but meh.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:13 am  Reply with quote

nope. in my opinion some humans need it. but remember that not all humans look up to someone...(i hope) i myself dont really have a respected look-upable role model that im following right now, so im in that category for the time being. i cant speak for the rest of the world.
Datura
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:02 am  Reply with quote

Human need heroes as just another form of experience-by-proxy. It's an integral part of communication, like narratives and words being experience of something by proxy.

I don't see why it should bother anyone :P
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

precisely! its just one of those things that you either accept and get over it or you have it bugging you the rest of your life. ive accepted that most people need heros, but dont forget there are always those who dont have/need them too.
Datura
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

A hero doesn't nessarcerily mean someone you want to exactly be like. I could list, as part of my Heroes, Boadiccea, Nelson Mandela etc etc, doesn't mean I want to be like them. Just means I consider them pretty spiff.

To consider yourself above heroes is just setting yourself up for ridicule and a pretty hard ego-fall.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:19 am  Reply with quote

and i dont consider myself above heros, i just dont have one at the moment. one will come along eventually.

and what you said about heros is completely true. they are subjective just like other things are, and you can have completely random reasons for it as well.
thoth87
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

hmm... i still don't like the fact that the majority of the U.S. population practically worship movie stars and pop-idols. blea.
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:11 pm  Reply with quote

that is very disgusting i agree, however remember: heros, like all else, are subject AND subject to change without notice for any reasons at all.
thoth87
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

true... bot i still loathe pop-idols... and movie stars...

the MASTER of elipses
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:59 am  Reply with quote

well not all actors are movie stars you know, anthony hopkins, for instance, is a movie ACTOR, unlike the "inta-movie stars! IQ points optional! just add ego!" people, like *gag* jennifer lopez (not "j-lo, wtf did that come from anyway) who are just in it for the money.

its like im fond of saying, good and bad peaches! (i ate all the apples)
thoth87
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:52 am  Reply with quote

meh. i give them movie 'actors' too much quarter, if you ask me. and anywho... they're still in it for the money. course, commedy actors are completely different....
nightbeest77
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:52 am  Reply with quote

well comedy actors (for the most part) enjoy doing completely crazy shiznah just to get attention and amuse people, and/or enjoy doing it!

theres an exception to every rule i guess.
Page 3 of 3
New Post   Reply Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  

phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Play Graphic Theme